Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Laundry Mistakes

OK so, I'm horrible with laundry. I mean TERRIBLE about it.

If you are anything like me, (and i hope you are so i don't feel so flaky) you have a TON of it. I have an infant, a husband in the military (can you say 2-3 outfits a day?) and myself. Now that may not be as much laundry as some of you with multiple children, but laundry is something I cant stand. I hate sorting it, I hate folding it, and I HATE trying to squeeze it all into it's proper place. Again, if you are anything like me your life is HECTIC. Like I said, I have a husband in the military, an infant, and I'm in school. Well once in a while, between apathy and chaos I forget to switch the laundry from the washer to the dryer, but normally remember in the morning. Not this time. This time I did it BAD. My load of towels and blankets had been sitting in the washer over a week. Now, I live in Northern Washington, so anything remotely damp is going to smell like mildew within probably 6 hours. The worst part is, towels and blankets are the hardest to get the smell out of. So, after much digging online I figured out how to fix it. Here is what I did:

1.) Don't even bother taking it out of the washer
2.) Since I was washing towels, I ran it in HOT water on the HEAVY cycle and put a normal amount of laundry detergent in.
3.) add 1/4 cup of baking soda to the laundry
4.) after it was done with the first wash, I ran it again: hot water, heavy cycle, with 1/2 the amount of detergent and another 1/4 cup of baking soda.

This worked MIRACLES! It actually smelled better then when I normally wash my clothes (I have to use Free and Clear for my boys) 

So, I hope this helps, because I was CLUELESS until I dug around online a LOT...I hope I wont need to do this again in the future, but lets face it I probably will. Until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE REMEMBER! This is a FRIENDLY blog. ABSOLUTELY NO branch bashing (aka making fun of other military branches), NO cyber bullying, PLEASE RESPECT ALL OTHERS OPINIONS! DO NOT gang up on people on this blog through comments! This is ESPECIALLY relevant to posts involving parenting! Violators WILL BE BLOCKED from this blog!
Thanks and keep it friendly
:)