Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Crazy weird caveman diet

So two posts in one day is strange for me. I normally don't have so much free time, but I am kind of laid up with a very painful toothache. Anyway, so my husband is starting this new diet after pay day. Its the "caveman" or "paleolithic" diet.

The concept is to eat only what you would be able to find as a hunter gatherer. The 'science' (and i use that term lightly because it just doesn't make sense to me) behind this, is that our bodies haven't evolved to process grains, dairy, and other products of agriculture (like corn) yet. This is why it doesn't make sense to me though: obviously we have evolved enough to learn to grow things like wheat and barley (which i think grow naturally anyway?) so WHY wouldn't we evolve to process the food we grow? Well, the point behind this is not how skeptical I am or how little sense it makes to me, but that I now have to plan shopping and meals accordingly. Ultimately I will most likely be on the same strange diet he is, because well, its easier to only buy bread and pasta on an occasion then it is to make pretty much 2 shopping lists. Regardless of what I think, I have heard of people having HUGE success with these diets. 

Here is a sample:

Drink ONLY water (and occasionally tea), Eat lean meat (fish, poultry, beef, ect.), eggs, fruits and vegetables, and nuts (actual nuts, peanuts are legumes). 

You eat as much of these things as you want for the first few weeks, and make your dinner your biggest meal, as close to bedtime as possible. After that you shoot for 6 smaller meals a day, with dinner still your largest meal. 


So honestly I could probably get MORE lazy with his lunch to a point if i make an extra piece of meat at dinner, and toss it in his lunch. Breakfast for him will be the easiest, just tossing some fruit and nuts in a tupper thingy and calling it a night. (Yes, i pack his breakfast AND lunch, if your husband is in the military you will know that early mornings and long days require a good wife to send more food along, or your poor husband living out of the vending machine or Burger King). I think even if I'm overly busy or not feeling well it would be easy enough to wrap some tuna up in lettuce and putting it in the fridge. 


Do you have any good recipe ideas for this diet (remember: omit dairy and grains), or have a similar experience trying to find recipes for a strange diet? Send them in, we can swap recipes and giggle at weight loss fads together (cus we all know the neglected box of thin mints in the cabinet is calling our name :/ )

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE REMEMBER! This is a FRIENDLY blog. ABSOLUTELY NO branch bashing (aka making fun of other military branches), NO cyber bullying, PLEASE RESPECT ALL OTHERS OPINIONS! DO NOT gang up on people on this blog through comments! This is ESPECIALLY relevant to posts involving parenting! Violators WILL BE BLOCKED from this blog!
Thanks and keep it friendly
:)